Hi, my name is Sandra. I spent several years working in Ningbo, Zhejiang, China and absolutely loved my time there. I believe that the Chinese are amongst the kindest, hardest working and highly intelligent people I have ever had the pleasure of spending time with. I believe the world has a lot to benefit from in listening and learning from the Chinese people. I was fortunate in my time in China to spend 2 weeks teaching at a small English school.
One of the struggles I saw when working with business in China, was the lack of confidence that young people had in using the English they had learned at school. I know they were very capable of speaking English but were very shy to say more than hi, or hello. I hope that this website will encourage them to brush up on their skills, improve their skills or if they have never learned English, to encourage them to take it up as a hobby. I believe it will enrich their lives but also befit many people who can then converse with them and learn more about the amazing and the mysterious Republic of China.
It is estimated that in 2015 there were more than 1.5 billion people who spoke English around the globe. This includes the 195 countries that have English as their primary language and the 27 countries where English is the official language. (source: ST Georges International)
Although Mandarin Chinese language is the number 1 spoken dialect in the world, followed by Spanish and English is only the third most spoken language, because English has grown to be the international language of business, it is an essential skill that individuals who want to be successful in the worldwide commercial arena. They need to have a reasonable ability to communicate in English both written and spoken.
Odds are extremely likely that if you attempt and do business in a country that does not speak English, your business partner will nevertheless be most likely to use English to communicate with you.
Learning English is critical if you decide to do business on a worldwide scale and many individuals all over the world choose to study it as a 2nd language.
Here are some other reasons to study English as a second language:
- English is the language used by science, aeronautics, computer, diplomacy, and tourism. Knowing and understanding English increases your possibilities of getting a great job with a multinational organization either in your own country or obtaining work abroad.
- English is spoken by 1.5 billion people as we saw earlier. That’s a lot of people to meet and communicate with.
- English is the language of the media industry. Think movies, the internet, radio, documentaries, news broadcasts and much more. If you can speak English, you won’t have} to depend on interpretations and subtitles any longer appreciate your most loved books, website, tunes, movies and Television shows, and the list goes on.
- English is based mostly on a straightforward alphabet and it is relatively quick and easy to learn in contrast to many other languages. Trust me, If you speak Mandarin or any of the many Chinese dialects, you will be able to learn English!
- Learning another language is good for the development of your mind. ‘Learning a second language offers proven benefits for intelligence, memory, and concentration and lowered risks of dementia and Alzheimer’s.’ (Quoted from https://bebrainfit.com/brain-benefits-learning-second-language/) You can read more about it by clicking the link.
- Since English is spoken in so many countries, there are many schools and universities that offer programs in English that could further your academic need and ambitions.
- And lastly, because it’s fun! It’s cool to be able to converse with many other travelers as you pass through different airports and other forms of transport. It’s great to learn about other cultures and their way of life that may be different to yours and to be able to share your unique knowledge and experience with them.
I look forward to connecting with you through my website and my social pages. say hi to me and sharethis site with your friends and let me know what you think.